Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Update

Wow, it's been a long time since I updated this blog. My three munchkins are growing up fast and keeping me busy. This picture was taken at least a month ago. I think about my blog and get overwhelmed with how far behind I am. So, I'm just going to give a little update on the kids and life in general and try and go from there.

Lila
When I was pregnant with Lila, I remember praying to God that I would have a child who shared my love of reading. Well, He definitely answered that request with Lila! We pick out about 30 books from the library at a time for her. I say things like "please stop reading and eat" or I have to tell her things 2-3 times because she didn't hear it the first time when she was reading. Haha, I remember being at my grandmother's house when I was 10 or 12 and coming out of my book to discover that everyone (grandparents, cousins) were gone. About the time I was starting to get panicked concerned, they pulled up in the car. They had taken my cousins home who lived just a few minutes away. And they had told me where they were going - but I didn't hear them because I was reading. So whenever I find myself repeating things to Lila when she's reading, I try to remember that she is just like me :)

Lila is having a good 2nd grade year. She continues to be friends with all the kids in her class. She doesn't have a best friend, but part of that could be because she hasn't ever had the same kids in her class two years in a row! She does have 2 neighbor girls that she plays with a lot.

Wyatt
Wyatt is going to preschool three days a week. He does really well in school, listening and following directions, and he loves his teacher. Next year he will start Kindergarten, and I think the hardest part for him may be going every day (because he likes his days at home too). For the past three years, he has gone with me to Lila's school when I volunteer, so he is very familiar with the building and many teachers. I think that will help him to feel comfortable starting Kindergarten.

Wyatt loves to play Lego video games. He also loves to build with Legos. Last year he had a Lego birthday party, and he says he wants to have another one this year. Catching a theme? He likes Legos :)  He is doing a really good job learning to read. I bought some Lego Batman phonics books which have been perfect for him - his favorite subject and right at his level.

Piper
Piper is oh so stubborn. I say that, knowing full well she takes after me. Lots of stories of my stubbornness when I was little. So when she furrows her brow at me, I have a hard time not laughing; it's so cute. But I know that stubbornness also drives her "I want to do it myself" attitude. On Mondays Piper goes to a gymnastics class which she really enjoys. She does struggle a bit with wanting to do her own thing instead of listening to the coach. I think if anyone is going to give their school teacher a difficult time, it might be this one :) Good thing she has a couple more years before we find out!

We've made it through potty-training - well, except for the few times she decides she doesn't want to stop what she's doing to use the toilet. But all in all, she's done pretty well with the whole process. She continues to love the color pink, Finding Nemo and recently found a new love for the movie Frozen (and all the songs from it too!)

Ben has traveled overseas more this year than ever before. So I stay pretty busy during those times. The kids go to bed earlier those weeks too :) I signed up to be the room mother for both Lila and Wyatt's class this year, which means I get to plan the class parties - often they are on the same day! It will be nice to have them both at the same school next year. Between time spent at school and time at home, I have a lot to keep me away from my blog, but I'm going to try and do better!

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

Yay!!! You are back!!!! I'm so excited!! (I just wanted you to have a comment right away to encourage you that, YES, people do want to read your blog and I'm one of them! :-) I *LOVE* the picture of them on the railroad track! It was fun reading the little descriptions of each of the kiddos too. I often think of you all and wonder what they are like these days! Sniff! Sniff!
Love ya! Lisa