Friday, October 28, 2011

My Star Student

Back in September, Lila was the Star Student for a week (all of the kids in her class get to be the Star for a week). What did that entail? She got to bring in a poster and talk about herself on Monday, and then on Friday she got to bring in a show-and-tell item. She chose to bring a Lil' Woodzeez family (toy). Some of the things she likes that she featured on her poster: drawing pictures, reading, AWANA Sparks, playing outside, coloring, catching bugs and her Lil' Woodzeez toys.

In addition to catching bugs, this summer we had the joy of housing a couple little lizards. My reaction when I find one of those fast-moving little creatures in the house is to get it out as quick as possible. Lila's reaction is to run and get her bug kit and catch it (well, to have Daddy catch it!) This particular lizard was found outside and was larger (3-4" from nose to tail) than the normal tiny ones that come inside.

You can see in this picture, the lizard was about to shed his skin. I was hoping it would happen quickly, so we could see it and then let him go. But, a few days later he looked the same. We convinced Lila to let him go before he died since he had no food. By the way, after I took these pictures, I taped the lid shut on this thing... didn't want to risk him getting loose!!

This was Lila on Crazy Hair night. She had several ponytails adorned with pipe cleaners, fake flowers and pom poms. Ben is helping with Awana again this year. Lila is a Spark (last year she was a Cubbie). They have council time (bible lesson), handbook time (where they recite their verses) and game time (where they play games, relays, etc.) She has been having a lot of fun with it all.


Lila still loves being a big sister. Now that Piper can stand, she LOVES to stand next to the tub. It is the perfect height for her. She also loves it when there are people in the tub to watch!

And interact with!! 

This week Ben was a Watch DOG at school. Watch DOGS (Dads Of Great Students) volunteer to come help at school for a day. Lila was so excited for him to do it. She must have asked everyday for a week if tomorrow was the day. Then that morning when I was making their lunches, she informed me that I didn't need to put a note in her lunch box because "Daddy is my note" (he spent about half of the day helping in her class and got to each lunch with her.) This is a picture he took on his phone at recess.

Another picture he took during "free centers" at the end of the day. Lila almost always chooses to go to the art center.

I wasn't sure how she'd handle going to school the next day after having Daddy there all day, but fortunately she had a field trip to the zoo to look forward to (which was today). And Ben was going to chaperone. I am looking forward to being able to chaperone a trip in the spring (when I don't have to be here for Piper, and somebody else could maybe stay with her and Wyatt). I meant to send along the camera with Ben, but forgot, so here is another photo taken on his phone. This was his group. The girl wearing pink is Lila's "best friend". Her dad and little sister (far left) joined them at the zoo.

Another picture riding on the tortoise sculpture.

Overall, I think Lila is enjoying kindergarten. She asks me frequently if I will eat lunch with her. We have gone a few times (someday she will know what an act of love it is to eat lunch with her at 10:45!!) If she is tired at the end of the day, she will get weepy and say she misses me when she's at school. But in the morning, she is usually fine. I have been adjusting as well. It is hard to not know what all goes on during the day (especially since Lila doesn't share much). Since she has started school, her reading ability - and interest - have increased a lot. She reads quite well and also has taken an interest in writing now. The few times we have eaten lunch with her, she seems to be fairly popular with several girls. At the beginning of the year, she had to switch seats with another girl because the other girl was talking too much. I asked her if she ever got in trouble for talking, and she informed me that she was the most shy in the class (and therefore the quietest). I haven't asked her recently if that is still true!

1 comment:

Keri said...

That poster is awesome! You have such a great eye.