Thursday, June 18, 2009

Little Crayon Apron

This past fall at our church's Women's Retreat, a group of us ladies were talking about how we'd like to try our hand at sewing. Or, in my case, try my hand at sewing again. Yes, that's right... I made a pretty stylin' pair of hot pink & purple shorts when I was in the 8th grade. April, a very dear friend of mine who QUILTS (which takes a master's degree in sewing) volunteered to give us a sewing lesson. Now, what kind of project did I want to tackle? Fortunately for me, I stumbled across this little sewing project, the crayon apron. I thought it would be cute and not too difficult.

Of course I can never keep things too simple so I decided to add a little embellishment - some button "cherries" - to the pocket which I hand sewed. I borrowed my sister's sewing machine, which she uses to sew on scrapbooking projects. As nice as it was of her to lend it to me, I decided I didn't want to attempt sewing this skinny rickrack with that machine (let's just say it's ideal for stitching on thin sheets of paper!). April was kind enough to let me use her sewing machine to finish my project... and continue to tutor me along the way. 

Here's my little artist, modeling her apron for me! It really was a fun project and not too difficult at all. I think if you had a boy, you could make a waist-apron (getting rid of the top half) and with some tan fabric, it would sort of be like a man's tool belt. Hmm... maybe when Wyatt's a little older I'll have to try it!

2 comments:

Katherine Marie! said...

ohhhhhh my this is DARLING DARLING DARLING. My little artist needs one of these!!!! I so wish I could sew. :):):)

Keri said...

That's really cute, Colette! Nice job.