Thursday, July 8, 2010

Road Trip: Omaha Zoo

Our next stop was visiting my brother and his family who live in Iowa, about 30-40 minutes from Omaha, NE. My sister-in-law had a great idea to go to the Omaha Zoo one day. I had never been there before, and now I can say I definitely recommend going if you are in the area! It was very neat... and we didn't even make it through all the exhibits!

We stopped on the way to eat lunch and by the time we got to the zoo, Wyatt had fallen asleep. Fortunately we were able to move him from the car to the stroller, and he stayed asleep! I propped his head up with our little diaper bag. He slept for about 45 minutes - but a short nap is better than no nap!

The first exhibit we went in was a rainforest exhibit (almost all the exhibits were indoors - very nice on a hot day!). Here Lila, Jim and Heath are crossing a little rope bridge. There were lots of neat paths, alcoves and other things to explore.

Here Lila is laughing about something, but I can't remember what.

This was a vine that kids could swing on.

Jim points out something in the water to Lila.

Lila and Grandpa Brandt
(We also met up with my parents at my brother's place... they would continue to travel with us when we visited my grandparents... up next!)

Here's a pic of my Mom & Dad with all their grandchildren.

The next exhibit we went to was a desert dome. The paths were smoother here, so Wyatt could get down and run around a little bit.

I thought this shot turned out neat - don't even know what he was looking at!

After the desert exhibit, Janina joined us (she flew into Omaha that day).

There was also a neat aquarium exhibit. Pictured here are my nephew Heath, with his parents and then Grandpa holding Wyatt. By this time it was getting to be dinner time and we were all ready to sit down somewhere. Plus the zoo was closing soon. Maybe sometime in the future we will get to go back and see the exhibits we missed. (If you were wondering about the tables, they were setting up for some kind of dinner that was that night... kind of a cool place to have a dinner!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love that zoo and have gone there many times!Meggan

Mark Knight said...

Yep, definitely an awesome zoo. Did you get to the Gorilla exhibit? When were you in Omaha? We were back 6/17-6/29. It would have been a ton of fun to meet up with you guys.

Jodi said...

The omaha zoo is great isn't it!!! Love it!!