Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Because he loves us

This week Ben went back to work after being home for three weeks. During that time I was reminded what a great husband I have. He cooked, went to the grocery store, put the kids to bed, did laundry... basically ran the house while I recovered and took care of Piper. And he did it all with a great attitude, I might add. Lila has a book called "Because Your Daddy Loves You" that talks about all the things a Dad could say or do, but instead does something else because he loves his daughter. My children are lucky to have just such a father. 

For instance, when it's cold outside and the kids want to go the park, Ben could say, "go play in your room."

But he doesn't.

 Instead, he hooks up the bike trailer and bundles up the kids and takes them to the park. And he doesn't even get upset that they're only there for 15 minutes because Lila announces she has to go to the bathroom.

And when the kids are feeling giggly at the dinner table, Ben could say, "stop making silly faces and be quiet!"

But he doesn't.
Instead, he moves his eyes in such a way that Wyatt says "do that again!" before bursting into laughter.

And when he wants to go for a run in the afternoon, Ben could tell me "I'll be back in 30 minutes. You can handle things while I'm gone, right?"

 But he doesn't.
Instead he searches Craigslist for a deal on a double jogging stroller so he can take Lila and Wyatt with him. AND he runs them to the grocery store while he's out to get a few things we need.

After a long day when the kids want to play with him, Ben could say, "I'm tired. Why don't you go play with your toys?"
But he doesn't.
Instead he lays down on the ground and turns into the best toy ever!


And after taking care of Lila and Wyatt all day, Ben could say, "You can take care of the baby."

But he doesn't.
Instead he takes a turn holding Piper when she's fussy - and it's 2 a.m. - so that I can get some sleep.
Because he loves us.


So thank you to my wonderful husband for taking such good care of your family. We love and appreciate you more than you know.

3 comments:

janinabean said...

Wow...Ben's ears must be burning today!! He's been a pretty good brother-in-law the last 10 years too :)

Although I must say that eye thing is kinda freaky.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful tribute.

On the Ride of Our Lives said...

Whenever I've had a baby, I fall in love with my husband all over again. There's something magical that happens during that time when you bring home that new baby, and your husband steps up like never before. I'm so thrilled you are married to such an amazing man. Ben is a great dad and husband.