Monday, January 4, 2010

This Year's Ornament

When Ben and I got married, I decided that each year I would make a Christmas ornament, something to symbolize a significant event that year. The first year was an ornament with our wedding date on it. We have a doggy ornament for the year we got Maggie and Kelsey. I made an ornament for each year the kids were born. A pair of sandals for the year we went to South Padre with college friends. Anyway, I really didn't know what to do for this year. Ben went to Guatemala but the rest of us didn't. I deliberated for awhile but then Ben came up with the idea to do an ornament that looked like a camera. This year we got a DSLR camera which I have loved using. We also had our family picture taken, so it seemed like a camera was a good idea. Now I just had to figure out how to make it! I went to Hobby Lobby and found this musical button for 40 cents (did I mention I made this AFTER Christmas!) That became the lens. When you push on it, it plays "White Christmas" (which is appropriate since this year Ben watched one of my favorite Christmas movies - White Christmas - for the first time). I used a paper-mache box for the body ($1, Hobby Lobby). Everything else (paint, buttons, ribbon) I had already.

For the back, I printed out a picture taken this year of Lila and Wyatt. Hey, it's a digital camera, right? :)


I love looking at these ornaments each year on the tree. It has become a fun Christmas tradition for us.

*Note: I did NOT take these pictures with my DSLR. I used the camera on my phone b/c it was faster :)

1 comment:

Keri said...

How creative. I will always love seeing your projects. I still think of you when I see a clothes pin.