Saturday, December 25, 2010

Mary's Christmas

I don't usually get very philosophical on this blog; it is usually more about our daily happenings, but as we celebrate the birth of Jesus this Christmas, I can't help but think more about the BIRTH of Jesus... given my own recent experience with Piper. A few days before I went into labor, I had commented on Facebook that "I don't know how Mary ever rode a donkey to Bethlehem; I think it's uncomfortable just getting in and out of a minivan." Well, little did I know that I'd be going through labor just a few short days later -- and I have to say in light of my own experience(s), I find Mary's sacrifice to be amazing.

When I think of birth, two words come to mind pretty quickly: painful and messy. For each of my children, I gave birth in a hospital. But with Piper, I think I had the closest experience to what Mary might have experienced... and I say that knowing it's not even anywhere close to what she experienced!! I started having contractions a few days before Piper was born, but the day we went to the hospital, they got progressively more painful and closer together. So by the time we went to the hospital, I was hurting... and all I wanted was to get hooked up to some pain meds! Now, I can only imagine that by the time Mary and Joseph got to Bethlehem, she was hurting too (she had to have been if Jesus was born that night!). And yet, everywhere they turned there was No Room. When we got to the hospital, there was not a nurse in sight! They were all busy helping other ladies give birth. Fortunately they did have a room for us and finally someone came out and helped us into a room, but then she left - without hooking me up to a monitor or anything.

So I had to wait for about 30 minutes (I think) while my contractions came every two minutes and I experienced the worst pain ever! I asked Ben to please go find somebody (until they confirmed I was in labor, I wouldn't be getting any pain relief!). Ben came back in to say that someone would be with us in a minute. A little bit later, I said to him again, "Please go find someone!" (ok, not sure if I actually said please or not). He kind of looked at me with this helpless look to which I said, "This is your only job. Go find a nurse!" Now, you know how on TV and movies, the wife will say things like "you did this to me!" Well, I'm pretty sure I said "this is your only job" in that tone. Fortunately when he came back the next time, a nurse came with him. After another hour of waiting (during which I had to really use breathing exercises!!), I finally got an epidural. Ah, sweet relief! Now, what does this have to do with Mary? Well for one thing, I'm pretty sure she didn't have the option of an epidural. In fact, she may not have even known about breathing exercises. AND, she surely couldn't look at Joseph and say "you did this to me!"

Once it was time for Piper to come out (which didn't take long since I was almost 10 cm dilated by the time I got my epidural), I suddenly had in my room: a nurse, the doctor, a nursery nurse, and an OB tech. They were taking apart the bed, putting padding down, getting ready to check over Piper when she was born, etc. Why? Because it was about to get messy. At this point, I really feel for Joseph. He didn't have any of those people -- and they were in a barn!! What would Ben have done if he were the only one to help me? I'm sure Joseph was terrified.

But, in the end, they were chosen to bring Jesus, God's Son, into the world. And they were willing to endure a messy, painful experience to do it. So this Christmas season (besides being VERY thankful for epidurals and hospital staff), I also find myself asking, "Am I willing to deal with any pain or mess God might ask me to endure if it means bringing Jesus to the world?" Mary didn't know what was coming, only what was promised, and she said "yes, Lord." I pray that my attitude would be the same.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Ouch! Great post. I can't believe you had to wait so long to get help. They must have been super busy. I'm pretty sure I would have used that tone too. :)

Brad and/or Bree Banks said...

Wow...your last paragraph really hit home with me. What a challenge! God never promised that things would be clean, painless, or easy, just that He would be with us. Thanks for the reminder!

Bree

The Bleakley Family said...

Just now reading this- great perspective & challenge. Thanks for sharing. :)