Friday, February 4, 2011

Sweet Moments

Life with three kids right now makes me feel like a juggler... just when I get one child's needs met, here comes another. I haven't even tried to get the housecleaning ball in the air yet. Some days it can be very frustrating (like yesterday). I confess I am not the happiest person by dinner time on those days! (Dinner time seems to be the meltdown point for all of us... we're tired, we're hungry, etc.) Anyway, in those moments I don't run for my camera. I don't think "yes, my child is screaming, the house is a mess and I haven't showered... I must get a picture of this!" I recently read a post on someone else's blog about how she uses her camera to focus on what she wants to see (not the mess happening behind her subject). Well, when I write this blog, it is an outlet for me to remind myself of how good I have it. A chance to focus on the sweet moments and wonderful children the Lord has given us. And yes, a little glimpse into our lives right now. I don't want to look back thirty years from now and be reminded of my grungy, bad attitude days. I hope my kids don't remember them either! :) So here is a sampling of some of the sweet moments we've had in the past month.

I had my camera out to take a picture of Piper's hand with our wedding rings. It doesn't take long before I have two little helpers when I'm trying to take a picture. By this time, Piper was starting to get tired of laying on the floor. So here we have Wyatt giving Piper a "kiss" (he presents his cheek to be kissed) and Lila taking their picture on her camera.

One day I found Lila and Wyatt reading a Sesame Street book with Elmo and Cookie Monster. It was the cutest thing, especially since Lila was "reading" to Wyatt and they were snuggled together on the couch. I tried to sneak up on them and take their picture.

But of course, once Lila saw my camera she had other ideas.

Wyatt, not to be outdone, said he could do that too!

This picture still amazes me. I have seen my niece and nephew fall asleep while eating... but our children have NEVER come anywhere close to doing something like that. So you can imagine my total surprise when I looked over at Wyatt one night at dinner to find him completely asleep. Seriously, one minute he was taking a bite and the next, passed out! And still holding his spoon! We let him sleep there while we finished dinner, then put him to bed early :)

Every afternoon we have 'room time' -- where they have to play in their room for a couple of hours and not come out. Sometimes they start out in their own rooms, but they usually end up in one room together. What they play is often directed by Lila. Can you guess what she decided they were going to play here?

Yes, that's right. Time to dress up! Wyatt was dressed as a bunny ballerina who likes to cook (apparently).

Lila went the standard princess route with dress, boa, gloves and fairy wings!

During room time, I try to get something done that is hard to do with little people - cleaning, a project or updating the ole blog. That is of course, if I'm not needed by Miss Piper. One day this week I was trying to get a post up before she woke up from her nap ready to eat. I wasn't fast enough... so Mr. Owl gave me a few more minutes to finish!

Then suddenly, this little happy girl appeared! (It was a rare day - Wyatt was actually taking a nap.) Room time was over; my time was up!

With the cold weather we've been having, Piper hasn't been getting a bath very regularly (unless it's prompted by a blowout... you know, the kind where you take them straight to the tub.) So when she does get a bath, I get my camera!

5 weeks old.

Sound asleep... now that's a sweet moment!

2 comments:

Ben said...

Thanks for capturing so much of what goes on while I'm at work.

Brad and/or Bree Banks said...

LOVE the pictures! I do understand about grungy, bad attitude days... and I do know that I have a lot to be grateful for...I try to remember that when I'm ready to toss the boys out the window! Thanks for sharing these memories with us - it helps us feel more "in touch" with what's going on with you. :)

Bree