Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Boy


MY BOY loves to be outside. I think he would spend all day outside if we'd let him. His favorite thing to do outside? Play in the DIRT. Give him a container he can fill, and he is in little boy heaven. He found an empty bubbles container one day and spent the entire time outside filling and emptying it with dirt. He likes to fill buckets with grass too. He also occasionally picks a dandelion for me :) At the playground, he loves to swing (takes after his mommy) and will say "push me higher!".

When he's inside, he likes dumping and filling things too. Which means I will find all the puzzle pieces in the doll stroller, or all his cars inside the Legos box. (I think I like it better when he's moving dirt around outside!) He has recently started doing some more imaginative play. He likes to play with Lila's dollhouse people. And when he builds with his Legos, I hear him talking to his Lego Buzz and Woody. 

He loves to sing songs. Usually the ABC song or some other children's song, even nursery rhymes like Baa Baa Black Sheep. He will sing along with Piper's music on her floor mat, which plays "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" tune. His favorite videos right now are Barney and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so I will also hear songs from those occasionally. I got some Mickey Mouse underwear as incentive for going potty on the toilet. We had one success a week ago, but since then he has adamantly refused to sit on it. Once it warms up some more, we will try a little more aggressively to see if he is ready. 

Over the past few weeks, Wyatt has been waking up every night, usually 2-3 times. It is bad when your toddler wakes up more than your new baby!! He has also been very itchy and had little tiny bumps all over (like goosebumps). Then his skin started to get red patches like a rash, so I finally decided it was time to see a doctor and took him to a dermatologist. She said he had eczema and prescribed some lotion and "itching syrup" (medicine to take before bed so he won't be so itchy). Since he started those, his skin has almost completely cleared up. He's had 2 nights of not waking up at all, and 3 nights of waking up only once. I never would have guessed that his itchy skin was what was waking him up! The doctor said often when you have itchy skin, you don't sleep as deeply. I'm glad he is feeling better AND sleeping better! I do think that the diapers dry out his skin (he always seems to be scratching at his lower back), so maybe when he can finally wear that Mickey Mouse underwear, that will help too. My mom tells me that when I was little, I got bumps on my skin and she had to stop using fabric softener. The dermatologist gave me a list of things to stop using and fabric softener was on there! Guess he got his skin from me. Sorry, bud.

Wyatt is in the repeating phase. It is funny when he says these "adult" phrases. Like the time I came to a stop at a red light and from the back seat I heard him say, "Come on, person!" (hmm... wonder who he's heard that from!) Or when I tell him we are going to do something, and he says, "Oh, dat's cool!" Of course, he also speaks like a two year old... like asking for some "washmellows" for a snack! Another thing he does all the time is jump. If he's getting out of the car, he jumps out. If he's stepping over a curb, he's jumping over it. EVERY. TIME.

I couldn't talk about Wyatt at this age without mentioning his favorite food - which has to be M&M's. If he finishes all the food on his plate, we usually have this conversation: 
Me: "Do you want something else?" (as in a second helping perhaps?)
Wyatt: "yes!"
Me: "What do you want?" (more fruit? more milk?)
Wyatt: "some M&M's!" 

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised since his mommy likes them too. Guess that's just further proof that he's MY BOY.


No comments: